Churu is near the shifting sand dunes of the Thar Desert and has grand havelis with marvelous fresco paintings, namely Kanhaiya lal Bagla ki Haweli and Surana Haweli, with hundreds of small windows. It also has some fine Chhatris. Near the town is a religious seat of the Nath sect of Sadhus where there are life-size Marble statue of their deities and a place for prayers. There stands a Dharam Stup, a symbol of religious equality. At the centre of the town is a fort built about 400 years ago. Churu founded in A.D. 1620 by Jat ruler Churu and the place was named Churu after his name in the Jangladesh region of the state. It was subsequently ruled by Rathore Rajputs and during war of 1871 the area came under dominance of Bikaner. Churu, like an oasis, situated in the middle of the shifting golden sand dunes, opens the gate to the great desert of Thar. Geographically, it lies in 28°18′N latitude and 74°58′E longitude. Administratively, it is the headquarters of the Churu District., The temples of Salasar Balaji & Babosa Maharaj Churu, DADREWA the birthplace of GOGA JI and Baba Phoolnath Temple NAWA are situated in the Churu district. Before India’s independence in 1947, it was a part of Bikaner State. The district came into existence in 1948 comprising three tehsils Churu, Rajgarh and Taranagar when the administration of Bikaner State was reorganized. Sujangarh, Ratangarh, Sardarshahar, Tarangar, Rajgarh, Ratannagar, Chapper, Bidasar and Rajaldesar are the other major towns in the district. The Tal Chhapar Sanctuary, a blackbuck sanctuary, has more than 1,680 black bucks and migratory birds. It is a major attraction for wildlife enthusiasts. Other attractions include the grand palatial Havelies in the towns of Ratannagar, Ratangarh and Sardarshahar, the Hanuman temple at Salasar and the Venkateshwar temple at Sujangarh, the birthplace of local deity, Goga Pir, in Dadrewa. The Bhadrakali Temple at Rajaldesar is popular among Shakta Tantra followers from all over India, which was established by Anant Shri Vibhushit Dandi Swami Jogendrashram ji Maharaj.