The Muslim Nawabs established Fatehpur in 1451 AD but the Shekhawat Rajputs took over in the 18th century. The opulence of the local merchants is evident from the richly painted havelis of Poddar, Choudhuri and the Ganeriwala families. The town is also a good base to visit nearby towns of Lakshmangarh and Mandawa.
Fateh Khan Kayamkhani (who claim Chauhan descent) established the city of Fatehpur in 1451 AD. He constructed the fort of Fatehpur in 1449 and ruled up to 1474. The city served as the capital of Shekhawati Riyasat under its ruler and founder Fateh Khan, the Muslim Nawab. Fateh Khan’s eldest son was Jalalkhan, who founded the village Jalalsar 10 km south of Fatehpur. After the death of Fateh Khan in 1474, Jalalkhan became the Nawab of Fatehpur. Jalakhan was a warrior and kind Nawab. He left the Fatehpur bid (forest land) for the purpose of grazing of animals.
The Dwarkadheesh Temple popularly known as ‘Asharam Temple’ was built in the 19th century by the sons of Seth Asharam Ji Poddar in memory of their father. The murals of this temple are representative of the famous Shekhawati wall paintings also known as ‘Open Air Art Gallery’.
Mahaveer Prasad Goenka haveli built in 1885 is believed to have some of the best frescoes showing a perfect match of colour and design. Geori Shankar Haveli is a good example of mirrored mosaic ceiling. Haveli Nadine is a haveli purchased by a French artist Nadine Le Prince. It retains some good paintings in predominantly red and blue shades. In the Choudaharia Haveli efforts are on to restore the paintings. The Choudaharia Haveli though in an extreme state of deterioration deviates from usual themes to an erotic painting. The Jagannath Singhania Haveli has some fine paintings of Radha and Krishna and shows some British men holding guns. The other notable havelis are Harkishan Das Saraogi Haveli and Vishnunath Keria Haveli.