Nawalgarh, shekhawati founded in the 18th Century by Nawal Singh, it has some of the finest frescoes in the Shekhawati region. A huge fort with a colourful bazaar and numerous havelis with elaborate architecture make it an interesting destination. There are a few prominent havelis like Anandilal Poddar Haveli, Aath Haveli, Hodh Raj Patodia Haveli, etc., which are to be visited, as also the two forts. The palace hotel Roop Niwas is a beautiful heritage property and is provided with modern facilities. The palace offers spacious painted rooms, luxurious interiors, graceful hospitality and thematic evenings with sumptuous cuisine. The painting in their Art Gallery is a great visual treat.
To the west of the fort are a group of havelis known numerically as ‘aath’ havelis, aath meaning eight. The frescoes on these havelis are indeed not of the best quality as they represent the transition in painting styles; the pure traditional style of painting started showing elements associated with modernity. One of the paintings depicts a steam locomotive while others show mammoth images of elephants, horses and camels. Opposite these havelis is situated the Moraraka Haveli, which have some very fine paintings including miniature paintings from the legends associated with Lord Krishna.
Thakur Nawal Singh Ji Bahadur (Shekhawat) founded Nawalgarh in 1737 AD at the village site of Rohili, before abolition of Jagirs in Rajasthan. Many great business families of marwari community have their origins from Nawalgarh. Nawalgarh was a tazimi thikana of Bhojraj Ji Ka sept of Shekhawat in Shekhawati. Nawalgarh was encircled by the high Parkota (walls) consisting of four Pols (gates) in different directions, namely Agoona Darwaja, Bawadi Darwaja (literally – ‘door near the well’ in the north), Mandi Darwaja(literally – ‘door near the market’) and Nansa Darwaja. Each gate has iron doors. Bala Kila Fort is situated in the center of the Thikana, and Fatehgarh Fort is situated outside the Parkota as an Outpost. The market place of the town and layout of the havelis indicate that the original city was well-planned before construction. Nawalgarh was considered to be the most modern towns of Shekhawati. The Rulers of Nawalgarh belong to the Shekhawat sub-clan (Bhojraj Ji Ka September) of Kachwaha Dynasty of the earlier Jaipur Princely State.
The fort founded in 1737 has largely been disfigured. Only one room in the south eastern section of the fort retains beautiful mirror work and paintings of scenes of old Jaipur and Nawalgarh.