Neemrana was a tributary (chieftainship) of the former Alwar State. The region is sandy and bleak and is known as Raath. The place is said to be the home of chauhan Rajputs claiming descent from Prithvi Raj the last Hindu emperor. It is reputed to have been built by the Yaduvanshis, descendants of Lord Krishna, who converted to Islam in the mid-14th century to be called Khanzadas. It subsequently changed hands, being conquered by the Mughals and the Jats before reverting to the Rajputs in 1775 when the princely state of Alwar was founded. Lord Lake in 1803, as a punitive measure for the shelter and assistance given by the then chief of the Marathas, confiscated the villages of the estate and made them over to Alwar. However, about one third of the State was subsequently restored to the chief, who remained a tributary of Alwar State. This subordination of Neemrana to Alwar had been the subject of many disputes and controversies, which came to an end in 1861 when the chief refused to accept the supremacy of the Alwar ruler. The latter took this as an act of rebellion and took possession of the estate. The chief fled to Jaipur. However, the Viceroy in Council settled the dispute in 1868.
Neemrana Fort built from 1464 AD, Neemrana Fort-Palace is located on a high hillock and commands magnificent views of the surrounding beauty. It is among India’s oldest heritage resort hotels, as it was created in 1986. Its name derives from a valiant local chieftain named Nimola Meo. The Chauhan capital was shifted from Mandhan (near Alwar) to Neemrana when the fort was established by Raja Dup Raj in 1467.Now a days, the Neemrana fort is a heritage resort.
It is used as a base to visit the Sariska tiger sanctuary, Kankwadi fort, Neelkanth Temples, Pandupol, the monuments of Tijara, Siliserh Lake, Jaisamand Lake, Bhangarh-Ajabgarh, the hot springs in Talvriksh, Rajgarh, Machari, Viratnagar, Deeg, the sanctuary in Bharatpur, Baba Khetanath Ashram, the Jat mud fort of Govindgarh, the ancient city of Mathura and its renowned museum.